Taking The Steps From Rehab Toward Living Normally
It is more difficult remaining abstinent for long even after doing a great work to reach the level of abstinence. Setting up goals and developing new hobbies are a few methods that can be used during the effort to stay sober.
It is easier to stay clean in a rehab centre because the environment is controlled, devoid of any factors that had earlier pushed toward addiction.
The environment in these facilities is one that can help a person stop the use or even the urge of taking drugs.
Graduating from rehab can be very encouraging and light yet it also brings new challenges in maintaining the new found sobriety.
However, people get to learn about the best ways through which they can live a clean lifestyle after rehab even when they face the desires to use the drugs again. This way you can stay clean.
Managing And Staying Away From Temptations After Rehabilitation
It is usually challenging to change surroundings from the rehabilitation centre back to staying at home.
Circumstances that may precipitate relapse to previous unhealthy lifestyle are often faced by going back home.
You will have to go back to the past environment where you used to be an addict and this is what gives you the desire to go back to the drugs or alcohol.
Here are few things you can engage in as distractions to manage triggers
- Establish A Support System
- Hang out with clean people and your loved ones who are willing to lend you a helping hand in your effort to stay clean.
- You can also join the groups in your locality.
- Environment Change
- Seek the help from friends or families to ensure that your home is sterilized from things that would remind or trigger your addiction tendencies.
- Any situation that would want to make you reuse must be evaded.
- Set Objectives For Your Future
- When you have a set of goals for the future, it will become much simpler for you to manage the temptations as and when they arise.
- One is bound to keep off the drugs if they have a plan for their future and will work to achieve it.
- Don't Miss Group Or Personal Therapy Sessions
- Make sure that you continue going for counselling even after you have left the rehab.
- It is always challenging to keep going for these appointments but they are very important.
- Find a reason every day to be thankful for the accomplishment you have achieved.
- Recognition of good things we have going for us is more possible when we have a grateful heart.
- Maintain a personal journal in which each day write five things that made you happy.
- Replace Old Bad Habits With New Healthy Habits
- Look for a fresh practice that is good and keep doing it over and over again because according to a research documented in the European Journal of Social Psychology, the time for a new practice to be second nature to one is about two months.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Taking Part In Clean Activities Instead Of Using
It is crucial to change old activities and lifestyles to fresh activities during treatment.
Clean activities can be a lot of fun too and you don't need drugs to enjoy a good time.
For help with staying sober post rehab, or if you need to go back, contact us on 0800 246 1509.
You can keep yourself mentally busy with these positive activities to stay clean after rehab
- Spending time in museum
- Go back to school or begin an online course
- Learn a new language
- Take up farming
Register With A Support Group
After leaving the rehab, there are many support group that you can register with and continue being clean. Mingle with positive people and sign up for personal or group discussions.
The 12 stages programs, counselling sessions and Narcotics Anonymous are some of the support groups that you can join today.
Partying Around Drugs And Alcohol While Remaining In Control
Those that are freshly out of rehab should totally run from enticing atmosphere because they do not have strong resolutions like those that have achieved abstinence for quite sometimes. When you are in a place where access to drinks or other possible substances is uninhibited, then you may just well forget about sobriety.
Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you will find yourself in a compromising condition (such as get-together of closed ones), these are some of the things you can do to ease the atmosphere.
What to do to resist urges in social gatherings
- Keeping a company that is sober is one of the best way to overcome this.
- Have in hand a non-alcoholic beverage which will keep your senses occupied.
- Arrive after schedule and depart before its end, to reduce time spent at the gathering.
- Depart immediately if you begin to feel uncomfortable or tempted.
The Advantages To Be Derived From Getting And Staying Clean
You can reap a number of his benefits if you decide to stay sober and these can include the improved functionality of your liver and heart along with enhanced performance in your everyday life and their activities and better sleep. Aside the bodily advantage, a lot more can be gained from abstinence. This include
- The company of good friends and family
- Frugal spending
- Enjoyment of living
- Improved energy to do more
- Dressing nice and smart
- Give new hope to other addicts who want to quit
It is challenging to withdraw from the use of alcohol. Don't expect a bump-free ride to recovery; you will have to work hard continuously. Achieving sobriety will give you new confidence and you will find that you are now able to take challenges under which you used to buckle before.
You need every ounce of strength and positivity in completing this quest to total recovery. Recollection of reasons you decided to stop using at the beginning helps when faced with urges to backslide.