Drug Abuse In College Students
College campuses face widespread issues like heavy drinking, prescription substance overuse, and recreational drug consumption.
Many people that abuse drugs are young people that are still in school especially in the higher institutions.
These college students are the population ages 18-24 who were exposed to greater chances of addiction.
Many pupils suffer social anxiety when first going to college. The temptation to consume alcohol is strong primarily because students overwhelmingly believe that alcohol makes it easier for them to socialise. Not every student within the college begins to binge drink or to abuse drugs immediately, but it is the problem of having drinks routinely to have some additional fun, which leads many students towards an addiction.
There is also a very small chance for the people that are not in these institutions to use drugs as compared to those studying there.
Reasons Why College Pupils Revert To Drugs
There are many reasons that cause people to start using these drugs such as
- Many students are unable to manage various demands, like studying, working part-time, completing their internship program, and socializing, and start using drugs to escape stress.
- Course Load
- The pressure to complete their assignments within the due dates leads more students to begin taking stimulants such as Adderall, which can help them to stay awake late at night for the studies.
- Most of the times, medical practitioners are not the ones that have advised or prescribed these drugs to the students.
- College students, because of their young age and fewer responsibilities want to try out new things.
- It is almost usual among people at this age to explore and experiment with new things and experiences in life.
- Peer Pressure
- Students who are surrounded by their seniors who could be experimenting with recreational and performance-enhancing drugs are more than likely to attempt to use these substances for themselves.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Eating Abnormalities And Dieting Pills In College
Unhealthy eating behaviours are more likely to form among college pupils.
25% of all college students struggle with an eating disorder as specified by the National Institute Of Mental Health. A report revealed that the number of both males and females having unhealthy eating behaviours has increased by far in the past twenty years. This disorder is causing many students to turn to diet pill abuse in order to help them lose weight. This has the potential to cause severe health problems up to and including death. Get more info about unhealthy eating behaviours and diet tablets overuse on college campuses.
Selected Drugs On College Campuses
College pupils try any type of drug depending on the latest tendencies.
College pupils take some drugs are taken more than others. The examples are
- Alcohol is attributed to most cases of campus troubles that are related to substance use.
- Having a drink is often believed to be socially acceptable and recognising a problem among college students who are abusing alcohol can be difficult.
- Many college pupils take drugs that improve their performance, one of them is Adderall, also referred to as the "study drug".
- Legislation is presently in favour of Marijuana legalisation and many college students have begun focusing on pot as their favoured choice of drug.
- There are campuses in which the number one abused substance among students is Marijuana, not alcohol.
- MDMA or molly is the pure form of ecstasy, this is a drug that was very popular in the 90s, and has recently been making its way back.
- Students in college are within the target age range for this "party drug" that is often abused by teenagers and young adults in their 20s.
- This party pill is increasingly popular among rave parties and concerts.
Alcohol Effects On College Students
By far, alcohol is in the position of being the most popular and dangerous drug on college campuses. More and more students find it cool and associate drinking and intoxication to fun college life, earning its ubiquitous attendance in almost all college parties and sports celebrations.
It is observed that the average college students consume more alcohol that their out of school counterparts which can be attributed to the culture and widespread use in campuses.
Alcohol is used by majority of the population in the campuses.
Data suggests that almost 50 percent of students who consume alcohol have indulged in binge drinking once or many times more. Unmoderated alcohol drinking is not only detrimental to the drinker but also to other people in terms of troubles and violence it causes. Get more info about heavy drinking and the symptoms of booze on college campuses.
Substance Abuse In Fraternities And Sororities
Despite attempts by fraternities and sororities to create a family environment for college students in their perusal of academic and philanthropic endeavours consumption of alcohol and drug abuse within the Greek system are more common than students outside the system.
Adderall is one of the most overused prescription substances within fraternities and sororities, way more than students outside the Greek system.
Seek Assistance For Your Drug Or Alcohol Addiction
If you are struggling with a problem of binge drinking, prescription-drug abuse and an eating disorder, furthermore, are a college student you do not have to counter this difficult time alone. Our addiction specialists can get you in touch with caring and experienced counsellors to help you overcome this problem. Gain your life back from overuse and dependence by contacting us now on 0800 246 1509.