What Am I Allowed To Bring To Rehab
Every therapy clinic permits certain things while forbids others and this is very important to know this once getting ready for treatment.
Treatment centres are enforcing stringent rules when it comes to contrabands and prohibited objects inside the facility. Majority of them has a prescribed essential list and exceptions to bring with you during your stay at the centre.
Following your arrival at the treatment centre, you are required to check in and initiate the admission process. During this time, the admissions team belonging to the centres will inspect your belongings to ensure safety and to understand whether any prohibited items are also included. A checklist is provided by some clinics to make sure no items are forgot once treatment is over.
However, all treatment centres allow you to bring in the necessities that are required. This policy though may differ from one treatment centre to another.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
How To Get The Packing Information
Most rehab centres have their own website featuring a "What to Pack" webpage, where you will find information regarding what is allowed. Search for the FAQ page if that section is not present. You can do your packing with packing specifications that some clinics provide. If you are still unable to find the information required you are advised to contact the admissions office of the rehab. You will have all of your queries and doubts clarified. They can also provide you the information regarding the procedure for the admission along with providing you an explanation for their policies if you have any concerns.
Items Most Recommended By Rehab Centres To Bring With You
Set of regulations are severer than others depending on each clinic.
For the better part, you are recommended to carry the following
- Details of people who form your support group (family and close friends, doctors, 12-step sponsors, and others).
- Your wedding ring or watch or other everyday jewellery items.
- Except for the above you are advised to leave all valuables at home.
- You can carry an alarm clock which does not have a radio.
- Some centres are known to supply these items, and therefore, it would be better to verify this particular item before venturing out into the market to purchase them.
- The medications that the patient will be using.
- Any medicine in liquid form must be new and sealed.
- It is also important to provide a list of all your medications and prescribed quantities.
- A bit of cash (from £50 to £100 in small bills for store runs, vending machine, etc.)
- Bring along your credit cards or check book for settling the payment for new medications.
- Your insurance cards along with a method of identification [driver's license, passport, etc.].
- Call cards may be required in cases where long distance calls are accessible only through it.
- A notebook or a journal.
- Envelopes or stamps in instances where you need to write and mail letters to friends and family.
- Photographs of friends or loved ones you hold dear.
- There are some items that you will get inside the rehab.
- Reading material you want to bring have to be about retrieval, self- help or spiritually focused.
- TIP It is recommended that you carry just paperback books because they are easy to carry around than hardcovers.
What Clothing You Can Carry
Most centres for rehab adhere to a strict dress code, and therefore, it is essential for you to be aware about any restrictions, which may apply during the packing. If you are not sure about how to pack for the weather, you should be looking forward to packing layering options like T-shirts, sweaters, cardigans and jackets.
Be aware that you shouldn't pack over the limits as your room could not be that spacious.
There will be provisions for you to clean clothes in the facility. It is best to take along only those clothes that can be cleaned easily.
You should carry along about seven days of comfortable and with appropriate clothing, including the following
- Shoes Bring the shoes that you feel comfortable in .
- Shirts If you have tank tops you should also be looking forward to packing some cardigans to wear along with them to comply with the dress code of the centres.
- Shorts These also need to be suitable to comply with the centres dress code.
- Carry a few clothes that will be used for important events.
- Fresh and clean pairs of socks.
- Bathing suit Choose one-piece suits for woman and trunks for men.
- A jacket.
- A bathrobe.
- Caps or hats, although they may not be allowed indoors.
Products Recommended For Personal Toiletries And Beauty
Rehab centres require every toiletries and beauty products to be free absolutely from alcohol. However, these requirements varies from one centre to another. Aerosols are not allowed
You should be taking along 30-day requirements of toiletries and beauty products, including
- Body sprays
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Hair wash and care products
- Hair styling products [pump hairspray only]
- Hygiene products for women
- Shaving cream
Items Prohibited In Rehabilitation
Almost all treatment centres have a list of forbidden items and they enforce a set of rules. The measures taken to ensure your safety and to create the best environment for your recovery. The names of items in the prohibited items list vary from facility to facility; however nearly every centre prohibits these
- Drugs and booze
- Narcotics and prohibited prescriptions
- Weapons [guns, knives, sharp objects, scissors, etc.].
- Pornographic materials
- Food items
- Alcohol based toiletries and personal effects
- E cigarettes
- Unsealed over-the-counter medicines
- Volatile substances like nail polish or polish remover and the likes
- Computer games
- Sporting equipment
- Skimpy clothes
- Body sprays with strong cents
- Cleaning agents like bleach or ammonia
- Any forms of electronic equipment.
- Incense and candles
- Clothing with profanity or references to drugs, alcohol or violence
One may not imagine that some of these items could be banned. Retrieval will be better off without such distractions. However, some of the rehabs could facilitate you to get these equipments on some days.
No food and drinks from cooked or prepared by external sources are allowed. You will be provided with three meals a day, snacks and beverages. You will have to inform the centre if you have any special dietary requirements or allergies.
These Items Are Allowed By Some But Prohibited By Others
Each has their own rules and policies so do not expect that it is standard to all. These are some of the items that may be allowed or not allowed in the facilities
- Your Laptop and Smartphone
- However, the access of these items will be regulated as per the policy of your centre.
- The charges should be available in case you are allowed to have one.
- You may be allowed to smoke at some time.
- Although you have this privilege, you are limited to a number of specified quantities allowed.
- Multivitamins and OTC Drugs
- As long as they are new and never opened during admission.
- They have to be closed and sealed.
- Music Players
- Any electronic devices with no internet connectivity features are also allowed.
- Cameras are allowed by some treatment centres.
- Disposable or Electric Shavers or Razors
- Because there is risk of injury, many centres don't allow them.
- Most of the times, throwaway razors are permitted.
- Nail Clippers
- Clippers are allowed although some centres consider this as a contraband.
- Personalizing Your Room To Make It Feel Homey
- You could be allowed to bring in your own bedding, pillows and some other stuff to make your room more comfortable.
- Just double check with your rehab centre if these are indeed allowed before stuffing them into your luggage.
Can I Get Prohibited Items Back That I Accidentally Took
Your property will always be safe. The personnel will just endorse it to your accompanying friend or loved one. Your objects are kept for 24 hours in other centres until someone collects them. In some cases, the centres may decide to store the items for you until your departure.
If you are traveling from a distant location and are arriving by air it is likely that you will not have a loved one with you during the admission to take the prohibited items back. We highly recommend that you consult and clarify with the rehab centre first about their policies and other things of concern. You would obviously want any prohibited items that you've brought along by mistake to be returned to you when you leave. In case the centre doesn't store them, request them to send the items to your home address.
Packing For Rehab Can Be Easy You are just required to follow the policies of the centres and ask plenty of questions if you are unsure about any items. Look for a packing checklist on the website of the rehab will make the process of packing even easier. Pack only what you need as an advice.
Receive Help Now
There are a lot of facilities that permits you to personal items to decorate or personalize your space. Talk to our experts who can assist you in your goal of locating a suitable treatment centre.
Contact your clinic by giving us a phone call now on 0800 246 1509.